We spend most of our time thinking about audio. When’s the last time you thought about visual? Facebook and Twitter have made shifts to emphasize visual content this year, while Snapchat and Instagram are already “all visual, all the time.” You undoubtedly spend a significant amount of time creating engaging content for the Web—your blog, your social media accounts. It’s time to up your visual content game or get left behind.
The Compelling Argument
Before you roll your eyes and keep scrolling, consider these truths:
- People only remember 10% of the information they hear three days later. But if a relevant image is paired with that same audio information, they retain 65% of the information three days later.
- Facebook posts with images see 2.3X more engagement than those without images.
- Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets than tweets without images.
- One-third of online activity today is spent watching video. Cisco predicts that consumer Internet video traffic will be 80% of all consumer Internet traffic in 2019.
- Video drives a 157% increase in organic traffic from search engines like Google or Bing.
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text.
- Facebook users spend 3X more time watching live videos than traditional videos.
You’re Convinced… Now What?
Improve your show and station’s digital presence with these eight visual marketing tips:
- Make sure every blog post includes an engaging image, and that the image pulls through to your social media posts.
- Make visual marketing top of mind during your show. Take pictures. Shoot video. Live stream the show. Maximize every social post by adding an image or a video.
- Add graphic captions to your video. Eighty-five percent of Facebook video is viewed without sound!
- Upload video directly to Facebook instead of posting a YouTube video link. Facebook native video has 10x the reach than YouTube links.
- Try GIFs to drive engagement. There are many GIF generators online that convert images or videos into GIFs painlessly.
- Because retention is higher with visual marketing, repeat any important announcements from your show in visual form online—post a video clip of the announcement in studio, or post a graphic with text. (Don’t have a graphic designer on your team? No problem. Take a picture and overlay text with one of the many free apps available.)
- Add video to your landing pages. Want listeners to sign up for a contest online? Need more people in your loyal listener club? Video on a landing page can increase signups by 80%.
- Don’t worry so much about quality. High production is so yesterday—today it’s all about the content, so an iPhone video is all you need. Check out our video tips at The Randy Lane Company for inspiration.
Forget “video killed the radio star.” Today it’s all about “video made the radio star.”
Photo by John Mark Arnold on Unsplash. This article was also published in Radio Ink.